• Users Online: 1073
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 15  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 407-413

Clinical and functional outcome analysis of posterior decompression and spinal fusion surgery in the management of lumbar and sacral listhesis: A prospective cohort study


Department of Orthopaedics, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences (Deemed to be University), Sawangi, Wardha, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Mahendra Gudhe
Department of Orthopaedics, Acharya Vinobha Bhave Rural Hospital, DMIMS, Sawangi, Wardha, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jdmimsu.jdmimsu_245_20

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Spondylolisthesis resulting in low backache, radiculopathy, and neurological involvement is a very common clinical entity. Conservative and surgical managements are available for the treatment of spondylolisthesis. Cases with severe instability and neurological deficits that cannot be managed conservatively may require surgical intervention. According to the SPORT trial, posterior decompression and spinal fusion was found to be an effective treatment modality. The present study was undertaken with an aim to understand the functional and clinical effects of posterior decompression and spinal fusion at lumbosacral region in patients with listhesis. Purpose: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the clinical and functional outcomes of listhesis at lumbar and sacral region managed by posterior decompression and spinal fusion. Methods: This was a prospective randomized study involving patients above 18 years, having low backache with or without sciatica, and having neurological deficits. Listhesis was diagnosed clinically and on stress radiograms and magnetic resonance imaging. All patients who fit the inclusion criteria underwent posterior decompression and if needed spinal fusion for symptomatic management. Results: A total of 30 patients participated in this study, with 73.33% women and the rest 26.67% men (mean age 51.37 ± 12.70 years). The most commonly affected level was L4–L5 along with L5–S1 right below it. Out of 30 patients, three underwent posterior decompression and fixation without fusion while one was managed with laminotomy and discectomy. The remaining patients were managed with posterior decompression and intervertebral fusion which was mainly at the L4–L5 level. At 6 months of follow-up, the mean preoperative visual analog scale score which was 8.70 ± 0.83 was reduced to 1.53 ± 1.38 along with appreciable reduction in Japan Orthopedic Association and Oswestry index scores. Three patients had surgical site infections while one patient had no pain relief. Conclusion: Posterior decompression and spinal fusion is an effective way in the management of lumbosacral listhesis.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed56    
    Printed8    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded13    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal