• Users Online: 299
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 15  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 45-49

Evaluating the relationship between subjective well-being and oral function in elderly people


Department of Public Health Dentistry, Sharad Pawar Dental College, Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences (Deemed to be University), Wardha, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Amit Reche
Department of Public Health Dentistry, Sharad Pawar Dental College, DMIMS (Deemed to be University), Wardha, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jdmimsu.jdmimsu_223_19

Rights and Permissions

This study aims at evaluating the association between subjective well-being (SWB) and oral functions in elderly people. Materials and Methodology: A cross-sectional study was carried out in a private dental college of central part of India. A study was carried out with a structured questionnaire on 200 individuals aged above 60 years. The questionnaire consisted of demographic data, oral function, habits, and general health. The SWB scale was used to tabulate the results. Results: A total of 200 people, comprising 67% and females 33% who were in the age group of 60–80 years, were covered in this research. The demographic profiles taken in the above study were age, gender, occupation, and monthly income. It was found that there is an association of SWB with health in the previous year (0.047). Thirty-nine percent of the persons had good health and 9.5% had altered health condition. In case of smoking as a habit, 43% of the people never smoked and the remaining had the habit (P = 0.012). Dental caries was found to be associated with SWB (0.001), 48% of the people had no caries, and the rest 52% had no caries. In case of loss of taste, 71.5% had no change in taste sensations, whereas 28.5% had altered taste sensations (P = 0.005). Twenty-eight percent of the people experienced burning sensation in the mouth and the remaining 72% had no complaints (P = 0.000). Conclusion: It was found that poor oral functions such as loss of teeth and other oral conditions such as burning mouth and loss of taste caused psychological and social disturbances in elderly people.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed43    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded6    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal